Saturday, November 29, 2008

CACKLEBERRIES

Ahhhh, the amazin' cackleberry.

They are an excellent source of protein, containin' all the essential amino acids needed by the human body.

A cackleberry contains most of the recognized vitamins with the exception of vitamin C. It's a good source of all the B vitamins, plus the fat soluble vitamin A. It provides useful amounts of vitamin D and some vitamin E.

A cackleberry contains most of the minerals that the human body requires for health. It's an excellent source of iodine used to make thyroid hormones and phosphorus for good bones.

And with the right kind of diet, a cackleberry can be produced to have higher levels of Omega 3.

What is a "cackleberry?" you ask.

Well it's what my dad always called an egg. I always thought that was funny and when I would call them "cackleberries," everybody would go, huh?

I know a few years back all the "experts" were sayin' limit your eggs, eat no more than 3 per week. They had everybody freaked out and thinkin' eggs were bad for us. Me and my clan just kept right on eatin' 'em. They are just too good to give up. And now they say they were wrong, there is lots of good in them thar eggs. I say you just gotta use common sense. Great Snakes! Iffin we stoped eatin' everythin' they contemplated was bad for us we'd all starve! Some people just 'think' too much.

I fix deviled eggs a lot. CD loves 'em, but I think most people do. When I fix 'em for company or to take to a dinner, I seldom have any leftovers. I have more than one way to fix deviled eggs but right now I'm stuck on eatin' 'em this way.

Ingredients:

12 cackleberries (eggs)
3-4 green onions, diced
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon real mayonnaise
5 teaspoons sugar
5 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
paprika
vinegar

Put your eggs in a pan and add cold water to cover and pour about 1 tablespoon vinegar in. This will help when you peel the hard boiled eggs, the shell will come off easier with less egg left on the shell.



Bring your pot of eggs to a hard boil and then I lower heat till they are gently boilin' and let 'em cook about 3 minutes this way, then I turn off heat and let 'em sit in hot water for about 10 minutes. If they are extra large eggs you can leave 'em in hot water about 15 minutes.

I then sit the pan in the sink and run cold water into the hot water for several minutes and let 'em sit and cool. I usually don't use hard boiled eggs that have been in the icebox because they will sweat too much. If you do use ones out of icebox you will need to let 'em come to room temp.

Check the water in the eggs and if it feels warm, run more cold water and let 'em sit a spell longer.

Crack and peel eggs and slice in half and gently remove cooked yolk with a teaspoon.



Sit your cooked egg whites on a plate with a paper towel, upside down to dry.



In a small bowl, mash your egg yolks well with a fork.



Dice your green onions into fairly small pieces.



Add the onions, mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper.



Mix well.



Fill each egg white with about 1/2 tablespoon of the yolk mixture usin' a spoon or pastry bag.
Sprinkle sweet Spanish paprika (you may use regular paprika) over tops of deviled eggs.



Makes about (it makes a difference on how many you eat when preparin') 2 dozen deviled eggs.
Now remember how good cackleberries are for you and don't feel guilty when you eat of feed your family more than 3 per week.
Happy eatin'. Let me know how you like my "cackleberries".
Youn's come back dreckly, ya hear?
Rebel

3 comments:

Jodi said...

My husband made deviled eggs for Thanksgiving. Let's just say, they didn't last very long!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your husband makes deviled eggs? Mine only knows how to eat 'em. Tell your hubby I'm impressed.

Anonymous said...

Yum!!! And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the chicken egg plate. Where can I get one?????