Thursday, November 13, 2008

Hello Neighbor!

It's been a busy day 'round these parts today. I reckon I needed to git more done. It may snow here Saturday and I still have things outside that need to be put away for the winter. I guess it's pertneer winter and I've been lollygagin and I ain't ready!

Even though I've been cookin' the biggest part of the day, I don't have a recipe ready and I'm plum tuckered out. It's time for bed but I'll leave you with some kitchen tips.

SUBSTITUTIONS FOR A MISSING INGREDIENT

1 square chocolate (1 ounce) = 3 or 4 tablespoons cocoa plus 1/2 tablespoon shortening
1 tablespoon cornstarch (for thickening) = 2 tablespoons flour
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour = 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sifted cake flour
1 cup sifted cake flour = 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking flour = 1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup sour milk = 1 cup sweet milk into which 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice has been stirred
1 cup sweet milk = 1 cup sour milk or buttermilk plus 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup cracker crumbs = 1 cup bread crumbs
1 cup cream, sour, heavy = 1/3 cup butter and 2/3 cup milk in any sour milk recipe
1 teaspoon dried herbs = 1 tablespoon fresh herbs
1 cup whole milk = 1/2 cup evaporated milk and 1/2 cup water or 1 cup reconstituted nonfat dry milk and 1 tablespoon butter
2 ounces compressed yeast = 3 (1/4 ounce) packets of dry yeast
1 tablespoon instant minced onion, rehydrated = 1 small fresh onion
1 tablespoon prepared mustard = 1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder = 1 small pressed clove of garlic
3 medium bananas = 1 cup mashed
3 cups dry corn flakes = 1 cup crushed
10 miniature marshmallows = 1 large marshmallow

Hope this comes in handy

No comments: