Wednesday, December 10, 2008

SHRIMP ORLEANS



As a kid I loved shrimp. Dreamed and drooled the thought of shrimp. But livin' in land locked Missouri, shrimp was hard to come by. I still love shrimp but the cravin' for it has been replaced by lobster. I can get shrimp any time I want now but while lobster is readily available, it's not affordable. Sigh, I envy you people who live in areas where seafood is cheap.

I have several shrimp dishes I make and this one is purdy good. I don't know if there are very many versions of it or not. I've never seen it anywhere, maybe my friend Mary over at
My New 30, who lives down near Louisiana or my friend Bayou Woman , who lives in Louisiana have a version of this or knows if this version is any where close to the real thing. I don't even remember where I got the recipe, I may have put several recipes together, I'm not sure. But I know I like it and I hope you'll try it.

Youn's will need:

1 teaspoon butter

1 medium onion, sliced

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 small can mushrooms, drained

1 cup sour cream

1 can mushroom soup

1/4 cup catsup

1/2 pound cooked shrimp


Melt butter, in an iron skillet and add onions and cook till they start caramelizin' over med-high heat, stirrin' frequently and then add garlic.


Add soup, sour cream, catsup and mushrooms to skillet. Mix well and heat over med-high heat, stirrin' frequently.


Add shrimp and mix in well. Continue heating over med-high heat, stirrin' constantly.
Put skillet into oven that has been heated to 350 degrees. Bake about 20 - 30 minutes 'til browned lightly and bubbly.


Serve over cooked, hot brown rice.

So when they come in and want to know if there's sum'ndeet, sit 'em down and shove a spoonful of this in their mouths. Sure to please and fill 'em up.

Let me know how you like my Shrimp Orleans.

Youn's come back dreckly, ya hear.

Rebel

4 comments:

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Hey, thanks for the shout out! I'm not familiar with that recipe but have to say, it sure sounds pretty darned good to me... yum!

Liz Harrell said...

YUM! This looks fantastic.

Darlene said...

WOW that looks WONDERFUL! I'm ready to come over and eat!!

The Muse said...

I so love this cooking!